Network management is a broad range of functions including activities, methods, procedures and the use of tools to administrate, operate, and reliably maintain computer network systems.
Strictly speaking, network Management does not include terminal equipment (PCs, workstations, printers, etc.). Rather, it concerns the reliability, efficiency and capacity/capabilities of data transfer channels.
Some of the main Areas of network management are summarized below:
- Network Administration: This involves tracking and inventorying the many network resources such as monitoring transmission lines, hubs, switches, routers, and servers; it also involves monitoring their performance and updating their associated software – especially network management software, network operating systems, and distributed software applications used by network users.
- Network Operation: This involves smooth network functioning as designed and intended, including close monitoring of activities to quickly and efficiently address and fix problems as they occur and preferably even before users are aware of the problem.
- Network Maintenance: This involves timely repair and necessary upgrades to all network resources as well as preventive and corrective measures through close communication and collaboration with network administrators. Example work includes replacing or upgrading network equipment such as switches, routers and damaged transmission lines.
- Network Provisioning: This involves configuring network resources to support the requirements of a particular service; example services may be voice capabilities or increasing broadband requirements to facilitate more users.
Solarwinds Orion Datasheet
- Monitors and analyzes real-time, in-depth network performance metrics for routers, switches,servers, and any other SNMP-enabled devices.
- Provides a highly intuitive, customizable web interface with point-and-click simplicity that supports multiple views by user and department, as well as cutting-edge map views and “Top 10”views of your global network.
- Gets you up and running in less than an hour with do-it-yourself deployment.
- Enables advanced alerting for correlated events, sustained conditions, and complex combinations of device states.
- Scales to accommodate growth and management needs with a hot standby engine, multiple polling engines, and additional web servers.
- Extends management capabilities to NetFlow traffic analysis and monitoring of VoIP performance,wireless devices, applications and servers.
- Leverages a Universal Device Poller to monitor any SNMP-enabled device.
- Delivers integrated community support, delivering the assistance you need from thousands of network engineers on Thwack, SolarWinds online community.